Monday, June 22, 2009

Living in Holyoke For Real


We rode out the winter all cozied up in our new abode, working on endless projects and making our place feel like ours. I enjoyed staying home with the sweet bambina and getting to hang out with my family and friends all winter. Juliet has been riding around on our backs throughout every season and is getting to know the outdoors, whether we be plodding around on snowshoes or hiking the many amazing trails that we are so lucky to have access to up here in Western MA. I am rediscovering some of the wonderful places around here that I had taken for granted when I lived out this way before and had since forgotten, and Damien has been doing quite a bit of whitewater kayaking on the rivers that meander through the nooks and crannies of the topography of good ol' Hampden and Hampshire Counties, along with the Berkshire region. Strangely Spring was warmer than the Summer has been so far (rain, rain, rain- we got a rain barrel to collect water from our gutter and it was full in the first night), and we have been totally fascinated watching the various phases of our garden progress- the people who lived here before us were avid, talented gardeners and we can't believe our good luck in terms of yard-splendor.


Juliet has been growing so much and she delights us constantly. Watching her personality develop as she experiences the world's curiosities for the first time has provided us with the most refreshing and captivating moments; we are totally enchanted by her. She is 11 months old now- a walking, babbling, beautiful child.




Some of the most memorable events of the last few months include: the birth of Everest Mooers (and working in the art store!) and all of the following times we have gotten to spend with that sweet pea and his parents, enjoying a fun-filled weekend in the Berkshires at the Petrangelo's cabin celebrating Danielle & Kristin's birthday with friends (I even had enough baby sitters to go snowboarding myself!), my parents throwing Damien a lovely birthday party, hanging out in Boston w/ the Johnsons and looking at a lot of art, going out to Buffalo at Easter and eating the most rockin Polish Easter Dinner of all time courtesy of Patty & meeting baby Huey and seeing all the wonderful people there, spending a beautiful weekend camping in Cape Cod with the Worgesses, relaxing in comfort and style in Mystic, CT with Dianne & Andy (falling in love with the Beluga Whales), turning a shocking 31 years old and celebrating our birthdays (my dad and I share the same birthday) more than once (Max Downtown mmmmmm and a "gahden pahty" where we played florida hockey aka Croquet), watching little Abby Brown turn one, traveling up to NH for a dreamy weekend with my folks and auntie full of hiking, waterfall-gazing, kayaking & canoeing (paddling against the wind as a single canoeist (canoer?) proved hilariously difficult and I think I'd still be out there if my parents didn't flank their kayaks on either side of the canoe to form a rescue flotilla), watching the girl take her first steps, eating countless meals, home-cooked and out, with family and friends, visiting Damien's classroom with the baby to make an appearance for Juliet's adoring teen fanbase, having visitors including David & Patty & my 2nd cousin Janine, reconnecting with old friends and making new ones, being surprised at all the various plants and blooms in our backyard, celebrating our first Mother's Day and first Father's Day, and watching the overall transformation of our house (mad props to the hubby).
As I write this a little sun light is actually making a Summer debut, so I must go and get out there. Oh and Damien had a successful school year and has only one day left until he is officially on summer vacation! He had perfect attendance...what a trooper.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com